Japan 24 Security Filings
As of March 1, 2014, all cargo moving into Japan (or trans-shipped through Japan) must have a Japan Security filing (AFR/Japan 24) completed 24 hours prior to the vessel sailing from Origin to Japan.
This regulation change will require that the following information be provided to TSC by the documentation cut off date listed on booking confirmations: (New information not previously required appears in BOLD.)
- Shipper Name, address, telephone number, country code
- Consignee Name, address, tel number, country code
- Notify Party Name, address, tel number, country code
- Description of goods
- Harmonized System Code (HTS) 6 digits
- Number of packages
- Type of packages (i.e. cartons, drums, bags, etc.)
- Total gross weight
- Volume (CBM)
- Marks and numbers of the cargo
- Container number
- Seal number
- Container size
- Container type code (i.e. standard, high cube, reefer, etc.)
- UN dangerous goods ID (UNDG) – container level
TSC will supply:
- Carrier code
- Vessel code (call sign)
- Port of loading
- Voyage number
- Estimated time of departure from port of loading
- Port of origin
- Port of discharge
- Estimated date of arrival at Port of Discharge
- Place of delivery
- Master bill of lading number
- House bill of lading number
- If the container is full or empty
- Container ownership code
To accommodate these changes, Carrier documentation cut offs will be earlier than they have been in the past. Failure to provide full and complete information by the documentation cut off could result in cargo being held at the port of loading, or the possibility of returning cargo to the load port. Failure to comply with this rule — for Carriers and NVOCCs — could result in prison terms up to one year or fines of up to JPY 500,000. (approx. $5000.00 USD ).
Should TSC be fined due to no filing or late filing, or if shipments are held or returned, any additional costs for the return, storage, and/or demurrage, may result in per diem charges applied from the Carriers and invoiced to your account accordingly.
There is a cost associated with the filing of this information to Japan Customs and from the Carriers. To cover that cost, TSC is charging $30.00 per bill of lading to file. Should the filing need to be amended, the manifest amendment fee will be $40.00 per bill of lading. This would be in addition to the $30.00 initial filing fee only if we have to correct the filing due to inaccurate information provided.
We will be available for any questions specific to your cargo; please feel free to contact us.